Monday, January 24, 2011

This was actually published

At the MSU Comics Forum on Saturday there was one presentation on government produced comics.  Comics that were usually either a how-to manual of some sort, were pure propaganda in war time, or which had some sort of safety message.  While government comics have created a character or two that have proven successful (Smokey Bear, for example), not every comic book character the government produced was a hit.   For example, Pip the Magic Safety Elephant never really took off.  And I, for one, cannot understand why his career apparently ended after one appearance.


Everything about Pip is delightful.  I particularly enjoy the pair of glasses on his trunk that are about a foot away from his eyes.  The costume is all kinds of awesome.  I also love the alliterative title The Perils of Pip Preventing Poisoning. 

And, as my brother John pointed out, the name "PIP, The Magic Safety Elephant" is ambiguous.  Is this an elephant teaching about the safe use of magic, or is this an elephant that can wield magic in a quest for safety? 

The government needs to resurrect Pip, for the safety of children everywhere.

At the University of Nebraska's website you can download an electronic copy of the comic, so I may feature Pip again if I get around to reading it and the content proves as fantastic as the very promising cover I posted above.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I use some Donald Duck cartoons on youtube in my macroeconmics principles classes: a government produced Donald Duck cartoon about taxes that were produced in 1943 and different Donald Duck one about the impact of a rapidly growing money supply.