Monday, February 15, 2010

Hair Commentary

I just want to say (this is Emily), that we are aware that Lizzie's hair is still, shall we say, noticeable.

After viewing some of the pictures of her, you might say one of the following to yourself,
"Why don't they just cut her bangs?
Seriously, how is she going to develop normally if she can't see anything?
Are they such poor grad students that they can't afford bows or headbands or ponytails? Maybe I should spot them a couple bucks.
Do they know the meaning of gel or hairspray?"

To these and others, I reply,
"I'm a fan of no bangs. She's too young to contest or choose for herself.
We like to think of the vision block as a game. You know, like a constant game of peek-a-boo. Now you see it, now you don't. Plus, the human brain is quite efficient at filling in the blanks (visual, in this case). This is one of it's clever features.
We have plenty of bows and headbands and ponytails and we often implement them in hair control. This morning I told Joe I was putting in a bow and he bet it would last 30 seconds. It was more like 3. Ponytails do work, but they usually do not get implemented until after breakfast. And let's face it, sometimes they don't get implemented for several days.

End of story: I'm waiting for her hair to grow a bit longer and then just you wait. You've never seen the cutest, cleverest, creativest things I can do with little girls' hair.

I'd like to give a shout out to my friend Katie. She just started a blog and she's funny. She makes me laugh (not just on her blog, but in person too). I was just trying to be a bit funny too.

3 comments:

Gallup Family said...

It's interesting that we both ended up with baby girls with awkward hair :) Anna's hair is very similar to Lizzie's and I too am a fan of no bangs. I'm caught in that "wait til it grows" phase as well. Here's to quick hair growth and cute girls :)

Katie Bell said...

That was funny.

Smith Family said...

Hey I say go for the reverse psychology approach. Let it be for now. We put ponytails and bows in to control Macey's full head of hair from birth. But once she hit kindergarten the ponytail and bows were no longer acceptable. We're in 3rd grade now and we are lucky if we can get her to comb her long locks each day. To quote her, "What's the big deal, it's just hair!"