Thursday, February 24, 2011

Finally, a snowman

Lizzie was a big fan of Spring, Summer, and Fall because she got to play outside fairly frequently.  Winter has required a bit more of an interior lifestyle for the little lady, which has not always been quite as fun.  However, she has been very fascinated with the images of snowmen that she sees.  She especially likes the carrots they have for noses.  She has asked to build a snowman fairly often, but we just hadn't  gotten it done.

Being in Michigan you would think the opportunity to build a snowman would come about fairly frequently.  On the one hand, we have plenty of snow, which is a key ingredient in snowman building.  On the other, it can get freaking cold here, often too cold for a responsible parent to take a two-year-old out in for the length of time requisite for proper snowman construction.  Between being too cold, the snow not being good packing snow, Lizzie being sick when we actually have the right snow and a reasonable temperature, and (let's be honest) her parents not wanting to go out into the Michigan winter, the stars have always been just out of alignment for Lizzie to get her much desired snowman fix. 

Until today.

When I woke up I saw that it had snowed in the night.  I actually only thought it was a light dusting, but when I went out to the car I saw that it was a couple inches.  We had previously had a good six inches of non-snowman quality snow that has lingered about, but the fresh stuff seemed promising.  I stopped in the driveway and made a snowball that actually held together.  I rolled it around and lo, it actually grew in size.  A very exciting development.  I had to get to school, but I ran to a window where Emily was and knocked so she could see the snowball.   Then I was off to school.  At school I saw Emily's facebook status: "Word is it's snowman snow out there.  Here's hoping.  Lizzie's been begging to take a carrot out and work some magic."

When I got home I saw that magic had indeed been worked:





Well done, Emily and Lizzie.

5 comments:

Joe and Emily said...

You may have noticed Lizzie doesn't have gloves on in most of the pictures. I admit that it's true, we don't have suitable Michigan winter gloves for a 2 year old. Shame on us. But I did try to keep her fingers warm. I did! Lizzie wore 3 different pairs of gloves and I probably put them on her 20 times while we were outside.

Beth said...

Cute snowman! Cute Lizzie! (and cute Emily too)! That looks like fun to someone who doesn't get winter snow.

Katie Bell said...

Moms who will go out and build a snowman with a little one are definitely in a class all their own. Standing ovation and a fist pump.

Smith Family said...

Two thumbs up for the mom! Who needs gloves. She might remember the experience that much more. Love it. Such a cute snowman.

M said...

Love the pictures!