Monday, October 5, 2009

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (Healthy)

One of my friends had a recipe for a pumpkin dip (I'm trying it tonight) on her blog. Anyway, it got me hankering for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I wanted a healthier version so I found this recipe at grouprecipe.com. Our batch made 40 cookies, which after doing the math, comes out to about 67 calories per cookie. Not bad. They are kind of the consistency of a muffin, but I thought they were still delicious (and Joe agrees).

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (Healthy)

1/4 C. egg whites or 1 whole egg
1/2 C. unsweetened applesauce
1 (14 oz) can pumpkin puree
1/2 C. Splenda granular (or use all sugar)
1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 C. mini chocolate chips
3 C. whole wheat flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, mix egg whites and then blend in applesauce, pumpkin, splenda, sugar, & vanilla until well mixed. Stir in chocolate chips.
In a smaller bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, & pumpkin pie spice.
Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until well mixed.
Drop by heaping, rounded tbsps onto parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake for 12 mins.
Let cool on baking sheet for several mins before transferring to a cooling rack.

I didn't do this because I forgot, but you could add chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts) to the recipe.

2 comments:

Katie Bell said...

Couldn't you just send me some?

Unknown said...

No fair! There's canned pumpkin in E. Lansing? I can't seem to find it out here, and my mom hasn't been able to find it in Holland. Something about a bad pumpkin crop last year. I've been craving pumpkin baked goods--and this post definitely doesn't help! :)